[lbo-talk] Libya: "Dropping bombs to save lives"

ken hanly northsunm at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 18 10:29:45 PDT 2011

Although Libya declared a ceasefire, the rebels have claimed that attacks are still going on. But then the rebels have themselves rejected the whole idea of a ceasefire anyway. They hope that France, UK and the U.S. etc. will bomb Gadafi into submission or at least weaken him enough that they can retake territory. The peace and negotiation and ceasefire clauses were probably mostly for ornament. No doubt the military have been planning for some time now.

We are back to 1984. Bombing Libyans to protect Libyans. The whole conceptual framework of the resolution is goofy. It is as if Gadaffi is now busy killing peaceful protesters. He is fighting an armed rebellion who want to drive him out by force. By the way are the Libyans right that the resolution is in violation of the UN charter?

I am eagerly awaiting everyone's condemnation of the rebels rejection of the ceasefire demanded by the UN resolution. The Libyan government actually requested Maltese and Turkish authorities to monitor a ceasefire.

Cheers, ken hanly

----- Original Message ---- From: Wojtek S <wsoko52 at gmail.com> To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org Sent: Fri, March 18, 2011 8:11:37 AM Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] Libya: "Dropping bombs to save lives"

Fernando: "Well, yes, but Gadafi made his own bed and now he must lie on it."

[WS:] I have little sympathy for the man, but I do not think it is that simple. He used to be the "underdogs' man" and now the old elites want to regain what's 'rightfully theirs' - as one of these 'revolutionaries' was quoted saying. It is analogous to, say, the Cuban bourgeoisie living in Miami to get what was 'rightfully theirs' before Castro took over. Gaddafi and his stooges may be an unsavory character, but his opponents do not seem any better.

BTW, the old fox shrewdly withdrew back to his foxhole http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-12787739 Pretty clever, no?