[lbo-talk] Left Forum

ymorvan at scss.tcd.ie ymorvan at scss.tcd.ie
Mon Mar 21 09:16:02 PDT 2011

lbo83235 wrote:

> You and whose army (of volunteers)? How on earth do you think you could
> realistically do, or even
> encourage the doing of, any such thing to "support the rebellion"?
> Hypothetically, if you were to pursue that line of action (as distinct
> from that line of thinking), what would have been your first move? Whom
> would you have called? And said what?

My point was to illustrate what could have been organized if the US/French/UK agenda wasn't dominating. I'm under no illusion as to my powers to influence geopolitics, so yours is a straw man argument.

As for the volunteers, they don't need you and me to encourage them. This article that Richard Seymour mentioned in his interview to the New Left Project is very inspiring: http://english.ahram.org.eg/News/7689.aspx The interview is here: http://www.newleftproject.org/index.php/site/article_comments/a_humanitarian_intervention

This is about the political cul-de-sac of supporting the cynical bully's moves, and about calling the lesser evilist bluff.

Yann

P.S. I like role playing games too, they're fun. Can I be Barack Obama?

Fires up the skype: "Nicolas, Sylvio, George, can you get some ferries ready in Marseilles, Fiumicino and Athens. Run some TV ads asking for volunteers to Benghazi via Alexandria, make sure they're drafted by Lutte Ouvriere please." Picks up the phone: "His Excellency Lieutenant General Samy Enan, can you broadcast a call for volunteers to Benghazi on national media, tell them to meet in the port at Alexandria. Please leave the hardware of the first and second divisions we paid for there too. Don't forget to send instructors." And again: "Allo Jean-Claude, you know that frozen Lybian cash? Can you get it airlifted over Benghazi in bundles of €10000. I think they want to pay for food and medicine on delivery."

See I haven't even left my armchair;)