[lbo-talk] Nuclear plant chief weeps as Japanese finally admits radiation leak is serious enough to kill people

Wojtek S wsoko52 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 22 06:29:06 PDT 2011

Jean-Christophe "And they had only planned for a wave about 1/3 that high, which means that most probably a wave even half that would not have harmed the plant anywhere as bad as it did. And that's already 7 meters."

[WS:] My point exactly, which makes my analogy to a plane crash valid.

The pilots and Swiss air traffic controllers made a major blunder in 2002 which lead to a rare mid-air collision of two airliners. But that blunder says nothing about the safety of airline travel because its - well - a rare blunder, and exception not a "situation normal."

This is analogous to building a 3 meter wall in a place where 15 meter waves can be expected. A major blunder to be sure, and heads will likely roll for that in due time, but expecting that such major blunders are common borders on paranoia.

This is not to say that people do not make mistakes - they do and you can bet on it - but that is why we have organizations and their backup and safety systems in place - to safeguard against such mistakes. Such safeguards are not 100% effective - nothing is - but they have been working pretty in most situations.

Wojtek