[lbo-talk] Nuclear plant chief weeps as Japanese finally admits radiation leak is serious enough to kill people

// ravi ravi at platosbeard.org
Tue Mar 22 06:49:33 PDT 2011

On Mar 22, 2011, at 9:29 AM, Wojtek S wrote: <snip happens>
> This is not to say that people do not make mistakes - they do and you
> can bet on it - but that is why we have organizations and their backup
> and safety systems in place - to safeguard against such mistakes.

It seems to me that the way to tackle the inevitability of human (*and* system) failure is not to rely purely on backups and safeguards (all of which might in turn fail) but to prefer solutions that have less catastrophic consequences when these inevitabilities come to fruition?

—ravi