[lbo-talk] Nuclear plant chief weeps as Japanese finally admits radiation leak is serious enough to kill people

Fernando Cassia fcassia at gmail.com
Tue Mar 22 06:59:33 PDT 2011

On Tue, Mar 22, 2011 at 10:49 AM, // ravi <ravi at platosbeard.org> wrote:
> It seems to me that the way to tackle the inevitability of human (*and* system) failure is not to rely purely on backups and safeguards (all of which might in turn fail) but to prefer solutions that have less catastrophic consequences when these inevitabilities come to fruition?
>
>        —ravi

AGREE. And to me, the nuclear industry is prone to "over-engineering". In other words "KISS" (Keep it simple,stupid) applies here, as well.

For instance, building a large water tank / reservoir in a separate building above the reactor level would have allowed having an emergency water cooling system that would have worked by pure _GRAVITY_... open the valve and water flows down. And not having to wait for hours while disaster unfolds to finally suck up water from the ocean and bombing it into the damaged ones...

FC