[lbo-talk] Libya

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Tue Mar 22 08:44:40 PDT 2011

It would be good that a nation fights out its internal affairs without intervention from the U.S. and/or NATO. Every time there is an intervention, there are leftists who wobble on this, they see complexities, they see "bad guys" on the other side, they want to be good guys. Then the U.S. intervenes and there follow years or decades of horror. How many Iraqis have died since the U.S. intervened. How many have been driven into exile? How many continue to live in misery? The U.S. got rid of that "bad guy" who ruled Iraq. Big deal.

I very seriously think that in reference to U.S. and NATO foreign policy and military actions leftists SHOULD NOT THINK about the complexities. They should only think of ways to build opposition to the U.S. intervention.

Carrol

-----Original Message----- From: lbo-talk-bounces at lbo-talk.org [mailto:lbo-talk-bounces at lbo-talk.org] On Behalf Of Bryan Atinsky Sent: Tuesday, March 22, 2011 10:26 AM To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] Libya

I'm seriously interested in your understanding of this. If the US and company didn't intervene and the uprising was completely crushed, that would be good? Let them fight it out and if they are crushed, we anti-imperialist leftists can at least say we truly supported their autonomy...it resulted in defeat, but yeah spirit...hooray for giving it your all!!

??????

Bryan

Sent from my iPad

On Mar 22, 2011, at 8:20, Carrol Cox <cbcox at ilstu.edu> wrote:

> FWIW, my own take on the events, part of a lively discussion on Louis
> Proyect's Marxmail list which has reflected the deep divide within the
> international left on this issue.
>
> I would deny that there is a divide on the left. Anyone who approves of
U.s.