[lbo-talk] Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition

Wojtek S wsoko52 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 22 10:36:08 PDT 2011

Fernando: "Any reason for NOT digging and making nuclear reactors UNDERGROUND and water-proof?"

[WS:] High cost, which I do not think is necessary. The damage to the reactor does not seem to be a major concern, fearmongering notwithstanding. As we have seen in Japan, the reactors themselves withstood a 9.1 earthquake without any structural damage and they shut down as planned in such situations. It was backup power needed to maintain them during the shutdown that was knocked out. Better preventive measures should have been taken to protect not the reactors but backup Diesel generators - and I do not think that putting them underground would be a good idea. If anything, they should have been located above the ground or on a higher ground.

Please also note that the earthquake caused so far 10,000 deaths - not a single one of them due to the Fukushima plant failure. That further proves the point that catastrophic scenarios are just fearmongering, not supported by facts.

Wojtek