[lbo-talk] Achcar's latest

Wojtek S wsoko52 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 24 07:32:45 PDT 2011

Achcar: "Of course, many would say that the intervention by imperialist/foreign forces risks making a lot of victims. But can anyone in their right mind believe that Western powers would have massacred between half a million and a million human beings in 100 days?"

[WS:] Everyone's vision is 20/20 from a hindsight. Would anyone predict that half a million would be butchered in Rwanda before it happened?

I wholeheartedly agree with the general thrust of his argument that we should carefully consider situation on the ground instead of rigidly sticking to principles. However, I have very little confidence in the statements made by the British and American officials about the conduct and goals of their military operation in Libya. They simply have no credibility, especially the British whose blatant double standards are simply nauseating. They are in the same league as Joseph Goebbels.

Wojtek