[lbo-talk] Achcar's latest

Jeffrey Fisher jeff.jfisher at gmail.com
Thu Mar 24 08:04:30 PDT 2011

On Thu, Mar 24, 2011 at 9:32 AM, Wojtek S <wsoko52 at gmail.com> wrote:

> However, I have very little confidence in the
> statements made by the British and American officials about the
> conduct and goals of their military operation in Libya. They simply
> have no credibility, especially the British whose blatant double
> standards are simply nauseating. They are in the same league as
> Joseph Goebbels.

Not to be a postmodernist getting in the way of the revolution or anything, but I think it won't do to respond to Achcar's argument simply that our sources can't be trusted, particularly with AJE so easily available. Yes, of course the governments in question will almost certainly not only make mistakes but also mislead and otherwise do things we don't want them to do for reasons we don't want them doing them. Like they're certainly already doing; we just don't know about it.

I'm deeply dubious of this business, and for all (or anyway most of) the same reasons I imagine most of us on the list are. And I can already -- perhaps mistakenly? -- hear Comrade Cox taking precisely the line that Achcar decries, which I admit is one of the several fabulous things about the Lenin quote. :)

What I found myself wondering at the end of Achcar's piece is if we really think we'd ever get a no-fly zone to protect Gaza? But if we could, why wouldn't we want one? Why would we trust "the statements made by the British and American officials about the conduct and goals of their military operation in" Gaza, but not in Libya? Or maybe that's enough reason not to want a no-fly zone to protect Gaza?

Somehow, I think we'd be virtually dancing in the streets if we could get them to do that.