[lbo-talk] Mixed Blessing?

123hop at comcast.net 123hop at comcast.net
Thu Mar 24 16:26:21 PDT 2011

----- Original Message ----- From: "Shane Mage" <shmage at pipeline.com>

"Japanese Town Mulls Future Without Whaling By MARTIN FACKLER29 minutes ago Japan’s tsunami seems to have succeeded — where years of boycotts by environmentalists had failed — in knocking out a pillar of the nation’s whaling industry." (nyt march 24)

Did the tsunami save the lives of a bigger percentage of the world's cetaceans than the percentage it killed of the world's hominids?

I'm happy for the whales.

Noted also was the fact that the "culture" and "spirit" of the town were indissolubly linked with the slaughter of whales.

I suppose I should reread Moby Dick. Didn't do a thing for me the first time.

Joanna