[lbo-talk] Achcar's latest

Gar Lipow gar.lipow at gmail.com
Fri Mar 25 09:38:18 PDT 2011

On Fri, Mar 25, 2011 at 9:25 AM, Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> wrote:

> On Mar 25, 2011, at 12:16 PM, Marv Gandall wrote:
>
>> Of course I agree with the thrust of your analysis, but am less certain that the aim is partition.
>
> Do the intervening parties have any idea what they're doing? There's always this tendency that the bourgeoisie has a huge file drawer full of plans, but the Western powers are divided against each other - and the USG is divided against itself.

This what I'm afraid of. My feeling is that the aim is a quick victory for the rebels. If that is achieved it really would be better than letting Gaddaffi slaughter the rebels. I can think of other results that is true of too. But if the intervening powers don't succeed in their first aim, I'm afraid they don't really have a backup plan, and then will turn to the usual defaults and will end up over the course of a few years killing more than Gaddaffi would have. Maybe I'm overestimating the risk of this. Juan Cole seems to dismiss it. -- Facebook: Gar Lipow  Twitter: GarLipow Grist Blog: http://www.grist.org/member/1598 Static page: http://www.nohairshirts.com