[lbo-talk] Achcar's latest

Hein Marais hein at marais.as
Fri Mar 25 09:53:27 PDT 2011

Doug's question hits the nail on the head.

The US hardly went into this with enthusiasm. it felt compelled to do "something" to repair or more likely prevent its standing with the democratic forces in the region from falling even lower, which was sure to happen if it stood by as Gadaffi perpetrated massacres. But it has no exit plan, besides trying to get out real quick -- viz the past couple of days of buck-passing. France and UK are a rather different matter and are acting much more in the neocon mode, or that of their colonialist forbears in the region, and it's their conduct and ambitions that we should be really worried about here -- they see an endgame, which is Gadaffi gone, and they see a military route to that. The only sensible course of action right is a huge mediation effort (but by who?), and a quick cessation to the military intervention, to avoid a drawn out civil war and quagmire.

Hein