[lbo-talk] Todd Haynes and Mildred Pierce

Chuck Grimes c123grimes at att.net
Sat Mar 26 02:20:10 PDT 2011

I have two maybe more great memories of Los Angeles that are movies and moments of walking down the big streets with my step father and my mother--that later felt like Truffaut 400 Blows, when Antoine was loving life with his mother and step father hand in hand skipping in the wet streets of neon and traffic.. you can not know how beautiful that feeling was unless you tasted it as a boy...

And this fucking movie was one of those times. Bilious color and a perfect sound track, that evoked a whole series of visions of Mexico and Los Angeles in some weird mix of sensibility. Alvarado and Wilshire, across from Westlake, then down to where we parked the car. Joy and comradeship with boys I knew from my class at Union selling papers on Alvarado in front of the bars after ten at night. Blew my parents away