[lbo-talk] Todd Haynes and Mildred Pierce

Dennis Claxton ddclaxton at earthlink.net
Sat Mar 26 03:30:12 PDT 2011

At 02:20 AM 3/26/2011, Chuck Grimes wrote:

>Bilious color and a perfect sound track, that evoked a whole series
>of visions of Mexico and Los Angeles in some weird mix of
>sensibility. Alvarado and Wilshire,

In the tradition of foreigners understanding us better than we understand ourselves, here's J.G. Ballard on Los Angeles:

http://www.jgballard.ca/interviews/id_magazine_1991.html

"The boundaries of the Third World shift. Los Angeles is really the capital of the Third World. The Mexican/US border should be redrawn to run along Wilshire Boulevard, because north of it is Hollywood, Westwood, Santa Monica and Beverly Hills, where the professional classes live, and then south of it is 90 per cent of Greater LA, which is multi-ethnic -- driving around there you feel you're in Mexico."