[lbo-talk] Fwd: Obama’s Libya Speech and the Tasks of Anti-Imperialists

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Thu Mar 31 16:44:35 PDT 2011

On Thu, 31 Mar 2011, Doug forwarded Gilbert Achcar's latest piece:

> http://www.zcommunications.org/barack-obama-s-libya-speech-and-the-tasks-of-anti-imperialists-by-gilbert-achcar

I thought the first half of this -- the defense of what's been done so far -- was very strong. The second half -- prescriptions for the future -- seems a fuzzier work-in-progress. But it was definately something worth reading.

I liked esp. his passages on the intermixing of morals and interests, and how that goes both ways.

Another post on that topic I found interesting was by Peter Beinart:

http://www.thedailybeast.com/blogs-and-stories/2011-03-28/obamas-libya-speech-why-consistency-in-foreign-policy-is-overrated/

I post it not because I fully agree, but because it's worth reading. In other words, I post it kind of in the spirit of the Kosovo debate that got this list started a dozen years ago.

Michael