[lbo-talk] Fwd: Obama’s Libya Speech and the Tasks of Anti-Imperialists

ken hanly northsunm at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 31 21:21:57 PDT 2011

True enough but one wonders how he got into the U.S. so easily and how he supported himself. Surely the CIA would be interested in recruiting a former top commander. But there is considerable other evidence namely that he had worked for CIA operations before. Here is a bit on Hefter but you can easily Google to get more stuff.

http://www.allvoices.com/contributed-news/8630903-khalifa-hifter-new-rebel-military-commander-may-have-ties-to-cia

A Washington Post report March 26 1996 described an armed rebellion against Gadaffi in Libya The article cites witnesses to the rebellion who report that "its leader is Col. Khalifa Haftar, of a contra-style group based in the United States called the Libyan National Army.This comparison is to the "contra" terrorist forces financed and armed by the US government in the 1980s against the Sandinista government in Nicaragua. Hifter's CIA connections go further back, to 1987, . A French newspare reported that Hifter, then a colonel in Gaddafi's army, was captured fighting in Chad in a Libyan-backed rebellion against the US-backed government of Hissène Habré. He defected to the Libyan National Salvation Front (LNSF), the principal anti-Gaddafi group, which had the backing of the American CIA. He organized his own militia, which operated in Chad until Habré was overthrown by a French-supported rival, Idriss Déby, in 1990. So Hifter can list many different military experiences on his resume. Two at least probably involve the CIA. Perhaps the former Libyan Justice Minister who heads the Libyan National Council received a glowing recommendation from the CIA as to Hifter's skills.

----- Original Message ---- From: Joseph Catron <jncatron at gmail.com> To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org Sent: Thu, March 31, 2011 6:45:46 PM Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] Fwd: Obama’s Libya Speech and the Tasks of Anti-Imperialists

On Fri, Apr 1, 2011 at 2:32 AM, ken hanly <northsunm at yahoo.com> wrote:

or the fact that the newly appointed commander of the rebel
> military Khalifa Hefter is in all probability a CIA operative. For the last
> two
> decaades he has lived in Virginia five miles from the CIA headquarters in
> Langley.

Hefter may be an operative of the Priory of Sion for all I know, but his having lived in Northern Virginia is hardly proof of anything. It isn't exactly a wastelabd, you know.