[lbo-talk] Obama got Osama

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Mon May 2 20:00:25 PDT 2011

I don't get your history. "Virtue" and "morality" refer to rather different rlations over the last tw centuries from any earlier period.

Look how torturous Plato's attempt to define "justice" was -- mostly because no one had been particularly interested in doing so before in Hellas. And neither virtue nor morality figures in the Iliad or Odyssey - though the former contains the only 'new' knowledge ever embodied in a poem: the discovery that humanity existed.

As far as I can tell, "virtue" for the last 2+ centuries means something like "Isn't it lucky that I'm not as everyone else." You can see that sense developing in Addison and it is fully dramatized in one of the greatest of English novels, Richardson's _Clarissa_. It has nothing to do with politics but rather is an implicit assertion of the superiority of "idiocy" (Greek sense) to public engagement.

You are not usually as aggressively ahistorical as this.

Carrol