[lbo-talk] Questions about Osama Bin Laden

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Wed May 4 14:39:21 PDT 2011

On May 4, 2011, at 5:23 PM, dperrin at comcast.net wrote:

> So Wikileaks came years after the fact? What does that have to do with my overall point?

Because Obama doesn't care about something that's likely to be revealed, if at all, well past his sell-by date.

> There was no public internet in 1964. This is all historical speculation, as is much of the analysis, official and amateur, about bin Laden's execution. The point is, with instant global info coming from countless sources, statist propaganda has changed. It had to. Just look at Obama's mouthpieces falling all over themselves to paint the most heroic picture of their hit job.

So why did they correct themselves, in mostly unflattering terms, the day after? OBL didn't go down shooting - he was unarmed.

> Why would they do that if the public had 1964 methods of communication? The Web has changed much. Ask anyone in the newspaper, publishing. music, movie/TV biz.

Yeah, people now expect stuff for free that they used to pay for.

Still, people would have paid a lot less attention to Wikileaks had newspapers not done the editorial work. Assange realized that when he decided to leak to them instead of doing a giant document dump.

Doug