[lbo-talk] Fidel: El asesinato de Bin Laden/The assassination of Bin Laden

c b cb31450 at gmail.com
Fri May 6 11:31:13 PDT 2011

Peter Fay I put Diem (and Trujillo - a slightly reviled anti-imperialist) on this list for a deliberate reason: US political assassinations are not about executing leftists or heroes, but about executing anyone who is inconvenient to the empire, regardless of victim's ideology, and regardless of the execution's violation of bourgeois law. I repeat that it is important to make this issue writ large - not because many in the US (especially many liberals and leftists) understand it, but because it is of large impact in the rest of the world and the calling to account of illegality destabilizes and tends to undermine US foreign policy. (Where's Chomsky when you need him?) Note that it has grown many-fold bigger in just the few days since I pointed it out - in Asia, Middle East, etc.

And the UN is now investigating - another great opportunity to thrash the US in a large forum. I could be wrong, but I believe this issue is much bigger in the world than many in the US realize.

^^^ CB: Sure let it undermine US foreign policy in other countries, AND take the wind out of support for the war among US _voters_. Win-win.