[lbo-talk] Fidel: El asesinato de Bin Laden/The assassination of Bin Laden

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Fri May 6 12:50:28 PDT 2011

On 5/6/2011 2:27 PM, Dissenting Wren wrote: Reread my original post, Carrol, and you'll notice that I did not mention 9/11. Osama bin Laden was guilty of crimes against humanity well before 9/11. Most of them were committed in Afghanistan with US support,

First in reference to “crime against humanity as a legal term: as some character in Dickens says, If the Law says that, the Law is an ass. The phrase is obnoxious and obscurantist. And for a number of reasons legal technicalities are out of place, essential obscurantist, in the present context. I will be expanding on what that contex is in another post.

In any case:Bin Laden has only one identity now; only one event in his history counts: The U.S. murdered him. That was the unanimous opinion of those who turned out for the monthly BNCPJ demo yesterday. Several were new: that will figure in the other post I refer to. But their opinion is final: just as the opinion of the audience ata the plenary was final as to Cornel West’s speech. Contrary views are are sheer amateurishness in both instances.

Carrol