[lbo-talk] Fidel: El asesinato de Bin Laden/The assassination of Bin Laden

Wojtek S wsoko52 at gmail.com
Sat May 7 08:55:30 PDT 2011

Joanna: "This is the kind of cynicism"

[WS:] Cynicism? I call it realism. Let's face it, OBL was anything but a reality show written in blood. What he did or sponsored was designed solely to make a big publicity splash of of the proportions that ordinary TV reality show cannot even dream of achieving. Everyone on this planet was a spectator, even those like me who do not watch TV, let alone reality shows. If people did not die in that show, I would call it a travesty of cosmic struggle. It certainly was not a struggle in any ordinary sense, because no one with half a brain would imagine that blowing up a few planes and building would achieve any objectives other than making a big splash in the Western culture that OBL supposedly despised. In fact OBL was a 100% product of the worst aspects of that culture - the reality show business which in fact is a parody of reality - since everything in it is for its shock value and has zero impact on real life.

So do you think that the most spectacular ever reality show engineered by OBL the Great Showman would end in anything but a fiery grand finale? Being tried like a petty crook or dying in obscurity is anti-climactic - it had to be going out with a big bang. The rules of the genre require it.

If there is any cynicism in what I wrote about it, it is about the crocodile tears shed by the sanctimonious sour grapes lefties that OBL was not tried. Gimme a break. Since when these folks have such a sudden bout of confidence in the bourgeois criminal justice system? If he was tried, they would complain that the trial was a mockery of justice - as they do every time their anti-establishment celebrity figures get behind the bars or on the gallows. And rightfully so. Do you think that there is any place on Earth where OBL would get a "fair trial" by any stretch of imagination? The greatest reality show that he engineered makes it impossible.

Wojtek