[lbo-talk] chipotle restaurants and immigrant workers-a chipotle fan speaks up

123hop at comcast.net 123hop at comcast.net
Sun May 8 19:48:48 PDT 2011

----- Original Message ----- From: "// ravi" <ravi at platosbeard.org>

What worries me is the growing trend of animal welfare becoming yet another wedge issue within what I consider the left. Whole Foods, even more than Chipotle, makes this problem clear, given the libertarian/Randian aspersions of its CEO. Joanna writes that this demonstrates the limits of consumer politics (I am quoting from memory). But I do not see all consumer politics as a shallow gesture (nor do I see it as moral lecturing, as Carrol does), for to me there is no substantive difference between choosing to not consume products that are a result of torture and brutality, and choosing not to cross a picket line.

In one sense these are both gestures that do not affect immediate reality, but they are also gestures of solidarity that have (IMHO) an cumulative and dare I say holistic effect. I do realise there is an argument based on self-interest that purports to jump the shark (as the cool kids say) when it comes to the picket line, but I will hold my thoughts on that for now to spare youse guys more of my opinion. -----------------

I'm not saying consumer politics is bad, just that it's limited if it does not extend to the rights of producers as well.

Joanna