[lbo-talk] chipotle restaurants and immigrant workers-achipotle fan speaks up

// ravi ravi at platosbeard.org
Sun May 8 21:17:24 PDT 2011

On May 8, 2011, at 11:32 PM, Dennis Claxton <ddclaxton at earthlink.net> wrote:
> At 07:20 PM 5/8/2011, // ravi wrote:
>> I do not see all consumer politics as a shallow gesture (nor do I see it as moral lecturing, as Carrol does),
>
> I don't think Carrol does either. I think he's consistently said there's a difference between a boycott and an individual choice to choose one product over another.
>
> A broad and extended boycott, like the UFW with grapes and like a bunch of groups with Coors is politics. Choosing Credo over Verizon is not.

Intuitively and emotionally I tend to agree with you on the Credo vs Verizon thing, but to be honest I don't see the larger difference.

A boycott is a collection of individual choices of one product (where indispensable) over another... Or so it seems to me. Which if correct leaves us with the parameters of breadth and extension (which are tactical considerations aren't they?). I do see the importance of being organized (how else to achieve breadth and stamina?) but this only raises second order questions on the breadth of the organizations (to me).

Carrol I agree is almost unfailingly consistent so I apologize if I got his position wrong.

-- ravi