[lbo-talk] Fidel: El asesinato de Bin Laden/The assassination of Bin Laden

Wojtek S wsoko52 at gmail.com
Mon May 9 05:44:46 PDT 2011

Joanna: "You're saying that OBL chose spectacle over political action and therefore deserves to die by the laws of spectacle."

[WS:] That is a nice and succint summary that gets the essence of what I argued. Thank you.

Joanna: "You accept his translation of the political into the aesthetic. I do not."

[WS:] I would hesitate to say that OBL transformed, translated or whatever the political into a spectacle. That might be said of Bader Meinhof, but not OBL. I do not think you can find anything more devoid of politics than OBL & Co.

And of course I very much disagree with transforming the political into a spectacle, of which the US politics is a prime example. Or let me put in a different way, I would not mind translating the political into the aesthetic if the end product is a symphony, not a cacophony or kitsch.

Somebody: "You're ridiculing the bourgeois justice system? I thought you were opposed to infantile left-wing anti-statism."

[WS:} No and yes. The point was that the lefties invoke the justice system when it suits them and condemn them when it suits them. They are just a slightly different allovariant of the genre practiced by Limbaughs, Becks & Co. - anything goes when it comes to discrediting their anti-heroes or defending their heroes. My satire pertained to this, and not to the justice system.

Shane: "All of Bin Laden's alleged crimes amount at most to a slow day's work for Adolf Eichmann."

[WS:} Autres temps, autres moeurs. There is no comparison.

Wojtek