[lbo-talk] Fidel: El asesinato de Bin Laden/The assassination of Bin Laden

123hop at comcast.net 123hop at comcast.net
Sat May 7 11:59:08 PDT 2011

You're saying that OBL chose spectacle over political action and therefore deserves to die by the laws of spectacle.

You accept his translation of the political into the aesthetic. I do not.

Joanna

----- Original Message ----- From: "Wojtek S" <wsoko52 at gmail.com>

Joanna: "This is the kind of cynicism"

[WS:] Cynicism? I call it realism. Let's face it, OBL was anything but a reality show written in blood. What he did or sponsored was designed solely to make a big publicity splash of of the proportions that ordinary TV reality show cannot even dream of achieving. Everyone on this planet was a spectator, even those like me who do not watch TV, let alone reality shows. If people did not die in that show, I would call it a travesty of cosmic struggle. It certainly was not a struggle in any ordinary sense, because no one with half a brain would imagine that blowing up a few planes and building would achieve any objectives other than making a big splash in the Western culture that OBL supposedly despised. In fact OBL was a 100% product of the worst aspects of that culture - the reality show business which in fact is a parody of reality - since everything in it is for its shock value and has zero impact on real life.