[lbo-talk] chipotle restaurants and immigrant workers-achipotle fan speaks up

Wojtek S wsoko52 at gmail.com
Mon May 9 06:04:36 PDT 2011

Ravi: "Intuitively and emotionally I tend to agree with you on the Credo vs Verizon thing, but to be honest I don't see the larger difference."

[WS:] I agree, but it also begs the question "why?" Credo is just a business with a charitable arm, just as any other business. Verizon and other telecom have charitable arms as well. This is fundamentally a neo-liberal model of philanthropy instead of state action.

What would make difference, though, is political action groups aimed to influence government operating for-profit businesses to finance their political activity. For example, Credo using all their profits to fund a PAC advocating, say, progressive taxation.

The bottom line is that consumer choice politics makes no sense because it is based on a fundamentally faulty neo-liberal behavioral model, falsely claiming that institutions reflect people's preferences and market place choices based on these preferences. In fact, the reverse is true, consumer preferences and choices reflect the priorities set by institutions, so it makes sense to change the latter not the former.

Wojtek