[lbo-talk] Dems love the Dems

Wojtek S wsoko52 at gmail.com
Wed May 11 06:50:14 PDT 2011

brad: "I don't think it indicates that. It could mean they are far to the center than their party."

[WS:] Possible, but it begs the question why would the Repugs want to take an extreme position that alienates them from their support base? I think they do it because it works - it attracts the reactionary element that sways the elections without sacrificing their core support base. In other words, they pursue a strategy that Piven & Cloward advocated for Democrats some 40 or so years ago - bring the nonvoters in to sway the election results to the left. Except Piven & Cloward were wrong in their assessment of non-voters, and the Repug strategists have been right - bringing the non-voters in sways the election results to the right, if not the delusional and the ridiculous.

Wojtek