[lbo-talk] Kushner's Zionism

Mark Bennett bennett.mab at gmail.com
Wed May 11 13:05:52 PDT 2011

It seems a bit odd that CUNY's trustees would be up in arms over Kushner's statements about Israel, but apparently they have no problem with the celebrated speech that he put in Belize's mouth:

"I hate America, Louis. I hate this country. It’s just big ideas, and stories, and people dying, and people like you. The white cracker who wrote the national anthem knew what he was doing. He set the word 'free' to a note so high nobody can reach it. That was deliberate. Nothing on Earth sounds less like freedom to me. You come to room 1013 over at the hospital, I'll show you America. Terminal, crazy and mean. I live in America, Louis, that’s hard enough, I don’t have to love it. You do that. Everybody’s got to love something."

It's a great passage, but CUNY is in the US, isn't it? So it's all right for an American playwright to take a mighty shit on God's country, but criticize a foreign nation and you can kiss your honorary degree goodbye? Strange.