[lbo-talk] vaca reading

Alan Rudy alan.rudy at gmail.com
Wed May 11 13:51:53 PDT 2011

oh, please, Carrol... you know as well as anyone else that there are books explicitly written, published and marketed as secondary sources...

you also know that across many high school and undergraduate curricula these are the norm... there is little to nothing primary about most textbooks nor most surveys of disciplinary subfields... perhaps literature is different than other fields and summary/survey/introductory books are utterly original?

It is one thing to read about something and another to read a representative sample of the thing itself. This is not an argument for some kind of clear cut purity parallel to basic vs. applied research or original vs. derivative scholarship, it is an acknowledgement of the empirically verifiable state of most of education.