[lbo-talk] Obscenity and assassination

// ravi ravi at platosbeard.org
Thu May 12 10:55:12 PDT 2011

On May 12, 2011, at 10:19 AM, Carrol Cox wrote:
> As usual on web sites, by the time I had the font large enough to read, the screen jumped about too much for me to read it.

Have you tried using Instapaper or Readability or ReadItLater or the Google Mobilizer?

http://instapaper.com/ http://readability.com/ http://readitlater.com/

Each of these offers two kinds of services built around a mechanism to make a web page more readable (by extracting the main page text and displaying it in a larger font without the distractions of ads, menus, and other stuff). The two services are: a way to clean up the page instantly and read it, and second a way to save it for later reading. For the former use I recommend Readability. For the latter use I suggest Instapaper.

Readability provides plugins/extensions as browser buttons or bookmarklets that you can drop to your browser bookmark bar. When you are a on a page you want to read, you can click on the browser button or bookmarklet to have the main text of the page rendered in a colour, font and size of your choosing without the rest of the junk on the page. For example, here’s a screenshot of the Readability version of the jdeanicite blog post: http://cl.ly/0A1w0T2M3h3t462p2S2E (the post is a bit confusing for me — there are a bunch of typos and talk of a “language of desert” that I don’t understand).

Readability is also built into the Safari web browser from Apple, which is available both for Mac OS X and Windows: http://www.apple.com/safari. A “Reader” button appears in the URL bar in Safari (for pages that it is capable of rendering cleanly).

—ravi