[lbo-talk] Pittsburgh: myth and reality

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Fri May 13 10:39:26 PDT 2011

In other words, from the viewpoint of the typical reader of the Economist, Pittsburgh must be a fine place to live.

Not wholly joking. Michael's post could could describe my home town, Benton Harbor, Michigan. And for those with a reasonable income it is an excellent place to live. The Upton's just restructured and wonderfully improved a great beach there -- after stealing much of it for a brand new golf course. And the new homes are built well away from the old city. And the adjacent town, across the river, is still all white, with a luxury hotel turned into a retirement home for those who have the money. Also a river front condominium with apartments that don't cost much more than a million. And the city is broke and taken over by the Governor. What more could you ask?

Carrol

P.S. The Upton's own Whirlpool. I think they've had a congressman or two.