[lbo-talk] BHL defends DSK

Mark Bennett bennett.mab at gmail.com
Wed May 18 10:46:27 PDT 2011

Adam Curtis' BBC blog, which contains a lot of interesting stuff, has short little take-down of BHL, with video:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/adamcurtis/2011/03/goodies_and_baddies.html

"But then a group of French philosophers came to the rescue. They came up with a theory that said it wasn't bad to work with American military power. In fact, if the humanitarians could harness America's armed might, they could use it to change the world in a revolutionary way.

The philosophers were led by another ex-Maoist called Andre Glucksmann. He had turned against the left and had developed his own theory which he called "anti-totalitariansm". . . . Glucksmann was part of a group of intellectuals that rose up in France in the late 1970s called the New Philosophers. They saw Bernard Kouchner as an action hero putting their ideas into practice. Another prominent one was the glamorous Bernard-Henri Levy. Here he is with an interesting haircut . . . "