[lbo-talk] what fiscal emergency?

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Fri May 20 11:14:25 PDT 2011

On May 20, 2011, at 1:06 PM, Dennis Claxton wrote:

> If you talked about this with people at a tea bag rally how many do you reckon would misunderstand the difference between federal debt and federal deficit?

None, probably.

I got some hostile email from a HS econ teacher who said that I claimed that the deficit would fall by 2/3 if we did nothing but offered no evidence to support it. When I countered by saying that I was quoting the CBO's semi-official projections, he thought that wasn't good enough. I mean, really, what else can you say or do? HS econ teachers are mostly dreadful hacks aren't they?