[lbo-talk] what fiscal emergency?

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Fri May 20 14:37:06 PDT 2011

We do not attempt to change minds in order to change the world. We attempt to change the world in order to change minds. The latter is the ultimate goal, but the former is the means -- in fact the only means. This is the principle that underlies the distinction between agitation and propaganda.

There is at least a slight chance at present that Wisconsin changed the world enough to raise the level of courage of members of such liberal groups as Illinois People Action (formerly CIOP: Central Illinois Organizing project, a church-based group which worked on such issues as living wage & check-cashing agencies. They never went in much for public actions but last week they organized a pretty good 40 minute picket with useful sdlogans at the local branch of Chase. What made it particularly encouraging was that of the 40-50 people there, Jan & I could recognize only a few! The world changed for those 40+ people through their own actions. A few more like that & they will be talking to each other at parfties, coffee brakes at work, etc. As such conversation spreads -- well. We will see.

Carrol