[lbo-talk] Joseph Massad: Emperor Obama Vs the Arab people

Chuck Grimes c123grimes at att.net
Sat May 21 17:47:47 PDT 2011

Not to mention the rich grandparents. J. ---------

Okay. But I didn't know they were rich. I believe it. I kept trying to figure out where he got the money to go to Occidental College and why there of all places. Northridge or LA State were a lot cheaper and better. OC must have had the reputation as a transfer into the minor leagues of the Ive Leagues. Columbia was the first place he lived where he may have actually met Black America Did he have an apartment or did he live in some sort of student housing? Around here if you live in the dorms you are completely insulated from regular Berkeley or Oakland unless you go out to ate. or to a movie.

Occasionally I reread his bio (from web sources) especially the early stuff. His stepfather must have been pretty well off too because they lived in a rich section of Jakarta. He went to a Catholic school for awhile there. In SEA, being Catholic is sort of a mark of the colonial era. I got a dose of what that does to the working class, through working with Loi.

I don't know. This guy is an enigma. I had the same problem with Clinton. Then I decided these were just rich people's politicians and that pretty much explained everything.

The other biography fiction revolves about being a community organizer. He was a director. Directors spend almost all their time telling other people what to do, while Mr. Big works on fund raising. So essentially he hung out with upper class rich where the funds are. He was only there three years. He basically made the rounds of the domestic NGO circuit in upper management. I just got a taste of what that crew are about. I turned in my hours on the 5th and didn't get paid until the 19th ---until I had frightened somebody with my controled anger.You know firm voice stuff..

CG