[lbo-talk] drug war news

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Sat May 21 18:54:14 PDT 2011

I read an account of this a year or so ago, but I can't remember where or any of the details. It may have been by Joquin Bustelo on the Marxist list.

The wars, if I remember correctly, started when _systematic_ & orderly corruption ended. And that may have come from U.S. pressure on the Mexican government to control the trade. When they tried to do so, civil war broke out. I think Bustelo argued persuasively that it should be called civil war -- it is of that magnitude. When the police ceased regulating the trade, the caratels started killing each other also I believe.

One partial 'solution' I imagine would be a return to state 'supervision' of the trade and cessation of attempts to stop it. What many Mexicans want is for the U.S. to legalize drugs.

Carrol