[lbo-talk] drug war news

Gar Lipow gar.lipow at gmail.com
Sat May 21 23:56:02 PDT 2011

On Sat, May 21, 2011 at 6:54 PM, Carrol Cox <cbcox at ilstu.edu> wrote:

> One partial 'solution' I imagine would be a return to state 'supervision' of
> the trade and cessation of attempts to stop it. What many Mexicans want is
> for the U.S. to legalize drugs.
>
> Carrol

That would help, but would not as much as you might imagine. NAFTA would still be in place and the drug cartels would still exist. Prohibition contributed to tremendous growth in organized crime, but ending alcohol prohibition did not shrink organized crime (illegal organized crime I mean) back to pre-prohibition size. -- Facebook: Gar Lipow  Twitter: GarLipow Grist Blog: http://www.grist.org/member/1598 Static page: http://www.nohairshirts.com