[lbo-talk] drug war news

123hop at comcast.net 123hop at comcast.net
Sat May 21 21:51:52 PDT 2011

----- Original Message ----- From: "Sandy Harris" <sandyinchina at gmail.com>

On Sun, May 22, 2011 at 1:13 AM, <123hop at comcast.net> wrote:

> Funny how none of this happened before NAFTA. But when the Mexican farmer could no longer make a living selling crops -- because subsidized U.S. corn put him out of business....well, now there's a drug problem.

No. It is much older than that. Mexican weed and Columbian cocaine were both being smuggled into the US in large amounts in the 60s, and for all I know earlier.

Of course it was there earlier. But a fair proportion of people could make a decent living without participating in the drug trade; now, for many, it's the only means of survival. And that is post NAFTA.

Joanna