[lbo-talk] Thus Spake Zarathoprah!

James Leveque jamespl79 at gmail.com
Wed May 25 03:48:00 PDT 2011

On Wed, May 25, 2011 at 11:19 AM, shag carpet bomb <shag at cleandraws.com>wrote:

> though I suspect it has very little to do with Nietzsche and a whole lot
> more to do with religious writers and speakers who've been talking like this
> since, what?, 1870s?

Yeah, I don't expect that Oprah's been reading The Birth of Tragedy or anything. But all of that highest evolution of the self within a reality that is the purest expression of my thought stuff strikes me as some kind of off-the-shelf Nietzchianism. Although now that I think about it, a pretty important distinction - if I understand Nietzsche - is that Zarathustra is always butting heads against the world. Oprah, on the other hand, knows damn well that there are millions of people eager to listen.