[lbo-talk] Corey Robin: Reclaiming the Politics of Freedom

Chuck Grimes c123grimes at att.net
Thu May 26 16:06:14 PDT 2011

``Confident that no one short of a millionaire could endorse the right’s economic ideology, everyone from Clintonite centrists to radical populists has treated conservatism as essentially a politics of distraction and delusion. Conservatives, it’s said, are just good salespeople, wrapping their ugly wares in the pretty paper of the culture wars. The way to combat them is not to challenge their ideas or defend ours but to use prettier wrapping paper.'' Corey Robin

This was a good essay and pretty acute analysis of the present state of US political realm. It also does a good job of representing some US past political history.

On the other hand, it fails to mention that most of the reason the Democrats provide almost no alternative is they are paid from the same sources, the business elites. That's what will keep most political office holders in power and keep them following business elites delusional ideology. The power elite don't care if their policies ruin the country and creat a state of constant war, because they believe neither will get to them and effect their standard of living, or hope for any kind of better life. They already have what they consider the best life in the world.

Essentially the elected government doesn't need voters much any more, even at election time since whoever wins pushes one or another version of the same policies.

Except for recently, this tweedle Dumb, tweedle Dee act seems to have broken down.

This year with Republican victories in the House and governorships the assault on labor is much more blunt and the power grab much more blatant. I am thinking of the Wisconsin governor Scott Walker and Michigan governor Rick Syner who may have over played their hands.

I hope it was significant that the demonstrations in Madison saw some solidary with the masses of people in Cairo. And it evidently worked the other way. Hopefully, people in both places realize they are fighting the same oppressive enemy, which is a combination of business and political elites along with the military industrial complex.

The US media doesn't cover much of the public actions except Libya. But there was no mention of this week in Spain. Several people quickly interviewed in Madrid mention their historical and cultural ties with Tunisia. There seems to be almost constant protest in Athens, but just not as violent as in the Middle East. This is why I spend a lot of my morning going throught Democracy Now and AJE. RT is good also. I didn't have time today to catch up on the IMF and the French minister what's her name as a possible replacement of DSK. Just looking at her gave me the creeps---the upper class styled version of the woman thug from the Thatcher Albright Clinton school.

Just a side thought to mention. It is interesting to reflect on the shared architectural tradition of large public squares around the Mediterreanian cultures of southern Europe, North Africa, and the Middle East---which was transported to the Americas by the Spainish and Portugese during their colonial hayday. They were originally intended for public display of the pomp and power of the ruling class. A grand church or mosque on one side, a vast secular facade on the other. Meanwhile the narrow streets and high walls of the residential streets contained private patios on the interior and were a built in security from the strife those ancient cities saw. I think these were originally Roman...

CG