[lbo-talk] RTe: The revolution will not be televised

Gar Lipow gar.lipow at gmail.com
Mon May 30 12:44:51 PDT 2011

On Mon, May 30, 2011 at 12:19 PM, Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> wrote:
> I was thinking of doing a radio show on political music - why so much of it sucks, and what makes the good stuff, like Gil Scott-Heron, not suck. Any ideas, either for substance or guests? Ned Sublette would be on the list, for sure. But others?
>
> Doug

I dunno about guests or substance. Of course to some extent "not suck" is subjective. I think if the politics is integrated with the world view. Also if the songwriter in general does not suck then the odds are better that the political music won't suck.

I don't know if Eugene Hütz is available as a guest, but you could play some Gogol Bordello. Immigraniada (We Comin' Rougher) is their most famous political song. But Supertheory of Supereverything rocks is just as much about immigration experience. "Forces of Victory" which seems to me about rebels keeping spirits high in a time of reaction.

And yet, of the three songs I'll bet "Imigrandniada" is the only one that set out to be political. The other two, I'd guess was the author writing about life, and since politics are a key part of life, they ended up political.