[lbo-talk] The revolution will not be televised

Chris Sturr sturr at dollarsandsense.org
Mon May 30 16:25:08 PDT 2011

Doug's post about political music that does not suck, and Gil Scott-Heron's death, reminded me of the DVD set of the first season of Saturday Night Live I bought at a garage sale last summer. The politics of the stand-up routines (e.g. George Carlin) and of (many of) the skits were so left compared to anything you'd see on teevee today. But what was really mind-blowing were the musical acts, which were of such high quality, and also often political, with GSH's appearance singing "Johannesburg" in one of the very early episodes being a prime example.

Here's something a friend sent me--not up to GSH's quality, but better than the usual re-tread folkie stuff that is standard today: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9D_rLb0Rr64. I like the term "defuturized" at around 0:20. Not bad.

Message: 9 Date: Mon, 30 May 2011 15:19:40 -0400 From: Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] Re: The revolution will not be televised To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org Message-ID: <07BE1E5F-021C-4CAD-B5C8-A936FE48F26E at panix.com> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii

I was thinking of doing a radio show on political music - why so much of it sucks, and what makes the good stuff, like Gil Scott-Heron, not suck. Any ideas, either for substance or guests? Ned Sublette would be on the list, for sure. But others?

Doug

-- -- Chris Sturr Co-editor, Dollars & Sense 29 Winter St. Boston, Mass. 02108 phone: 617-447-2177, ext. 205 fax: 617-447-2179 email: sturr at dollarsandsense.org