[lbo-talk] a test scorer's lament

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Mon May 30 18:42:55 PDT 2011

The real subject here the attack on the working class that begin in the'60s and and has grown steadily in its scope and its viciousness. The tests the worker must grade cannot be understood except as parat of the attack on teachers's working conditions and job security -merely the latest stage in that more general "corporate backlash" that begin in the '60s and is still in full swing.

And in this context I want to mention Ted Morgan's book abain. In a recent post to me he wrote:

"I still regret the day that I never fought over the publisher's use of "failed" in their version of my subtitle --kind of presents the book as another book on the 60s, rather than a documented study of how we got from there to here."

I doubt that anyone on this list is fully aware of just how systematic and extensive was this attack. That is precisely what Ted documents in great detail. It is definitely not "just another book on the '60s." I would claim that no one who pretends to be interested in the "state of the left" can fail to read this book. And, his work links quite powerfully with the points made in the book review by Mark Dudzic that Micheal Yates recently cited. Were Dudzic himself to wrte the book on the '70s Cowie failed to produce it would, in effect, form a second volume to Ted's work. The two mesh perfectly.

Were you only to read the many references in the book to the late Justice Lewis F. Powell, Jr. your view of the past 40 years might be radically expanded.

Wisconsin just might mark the opening o f a new era of political struggle. If leftists enter that era ignorant of "how we got from there to here" their understanding of their present tasks will be severely cripdpled. We need both tounderstand the struggles of the '60s more deeply _and_ to understand the counterattack by corporate capital which undid so many of the gains made in that era.

Carrol