[lbo-talk] RTe: The revolution will not be televised

Michael Smith mjs at smithbowen.net
Mon May 30 20:43:59 PDT 2011

On Mon, 30 May 2011 22:17:49 -0500 Carrol Cox <cbcox at ilstu.edu> wrote:

> I know of only one song that is political in non-political contexts
> (because it makes any context political): La Marseillaise.

Not the Internationale? A rather good song by any standard. I played it on my carillon on May Day. Doubt that anybody even recognized it -- well, maybe the two or three grizzled old CPers left in Harlem. Who no doubt felt convinced they were hallucinating, and toddled off to consult their neurologists:

"Doctor! I heard bells -- playing the Internationale..."

"Hmm. It may be time to increase your dosage."

> If a crowd in a political context responds favorably to a song, whether
> by signing it or listening to it, then it is as good as a political song
> can be.

But crowds don't necessarily respond as one, do they? Even in a political crowd, there may well be people who have some taste in music, and they're going to respond better to a good song (in the extra-political sense) than a dull one.

Would Carrol's hero and mine -- John Milton -- have endorsed the Coxian teaching here?

-- --

Michael J. Smith mjs at smithbowen.net

http://stopmebeforeivoteagain.org http://www.cars-suck.org http://fakesprogress.blogspot.com