[lbo-talk] Rolling Stone: How Roger Ailes created Fox News starting in 1968

SA s11131978 at gmail.com
Tue May 31 12:41:27 PDT 2011

On 5/31/2011 3:07 PM, Michael Smith wrote:

>> NPR's supine
>> centrism is of a much more right-wing shade in a world where Fox exists
>> than in an alternate universe where Fox doesn't exist.
>
> Doesn't the causal arrow point both ways? Can one not reverse
> this observation? Fox's right-wingery is much madder
> than in an alternate universe where NPR isn't... isn't...
> isn't what it is.

No, I don't think this is right. Fox is run explicitly as an agitprop organ for a highly articulated political formation. There's no equivalence. If elite wisdom shifts two degrees to the left, Fox literally has an editorial meeting where they ask "how can we push back against this?" Whereas NPR *is* elite wisdom.

SA