[lbo-talk] On vandalism and violence

Angelus Novus fuerdenkommunismus at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 5 16:32:42 PDT 2011

Carrol wrote:

> There's an anecdote, probably apocryphal, that when the Grand Duke was assassinated & Lenin heard about it, he said, "Good Show," and sat down to write a denunciation of
> individual terrorism. I've made my irritation with Weatherman clear enough for 40 years, but when someone destroyed the memorial to the Haymarket Cops I couldn't bring myself to > be sad.

Carrol, I love you man, the similarity of our perception is almost scary to me sometimes.

In my history class last week, a local member of the FAU (anarcho-syndicalist trade union, think Wobbly sister union) brought up the issue of the Red Army Fraction's  kidnapping of Hans-Martin Schleyer in a discussion with our teacher.

I said that the loss of human life was a tragedy and that the RAF's actions had to be condemned, but then with regard to Schleyer -- remember, an SS officer responsible for the "aryanization" of Czechoslovakia and the procurement of slave labor -- I quoted Richard Stallman's response to Steve Job's passing: "I'm not glad he's dead, but I'm glad he's gone."