[lbo-talk] Occupy Oakland's imminent implosion and the wider effects

Slacker Faction fubar1999 at gmail.com
Sat Nov 5 16:33:38 PDT 2011

Chanting possibly "Whose protest? Our protest!" There must be a creative response to skinny white guys in black ninja outfits. (Internet meme anyone?) I am curious on the history of organized "trashing". Who was doing it in between Weatherman and the Bloc?

Oh and I am fairly certain that non-violent civil struggle predated the mid-Sixties urban rioting.

>You could have a collective agreement in advance on what tactic to use
during an action when Black Bloc types pull these kinds of stunts. In the videos I've seen, there's inevitably a group of demonstrators trying to give the BB a hard time or even trying to physically stop them, but it all looks so haphazard and demoralized and always fails. It would be better if, for example, everyone knew that they were supposed to, say, stop, point, and -- without trying to stop the BB -- chant some pre-approved line in unison, like saboteurs. The BB does these things solely to create photo opps -- if the videos posted to the web the next day show them being heckled down by a big group of normal demonstrators who outnumbered them, it would ruin the effect they're trying to create.

SA