[lbo-talk] Occupy Oakland's imminent implosion and the wider effects

Joseph Catron jncatron at gmail.com
Sat Nov 5 18:15:56 PDT 2011

On Sat, Nov 5, 2011 at 10:17 PM, SA <s11131978 at gmail.com> wrote:

It would be better if, for example, everyone knew that they were supposed
> to, say, stop, point, and -- without trying to stop the BB -- chant some
> pre-approved line in unison, like saboteurs. The BB does these things
> solely to create photo opps -- if the videos posted to the web the next day
> show them being heckled down by a big group of normal demonstrators who
> outnumbered them, it would ruin the effect they're trying to create.

It may be that things have changed significantly since my BB days. From this distance, I'm more than open to hearing that case. But since no one's made it yet, I have to consider the possibility that none of you have any idea what you're talking about.

A few key points, based entirely on my halycon days of yore:

1. The "BB" often overlap significantly with the people who make all these things happen. If those of us preparing food, serving as street medics, etc. weren't pulling double-duty as militants after the work was done, we were, at the very least, in full solidarity with people we knew very well from our common activities between mobilizations. Everything I've seen written about "BB types" over the past few days has been abject horseshit.

2. Trashers have a political logic. You may disagree with it, but if you wish to disempower it, you'll have to do the hard work of arguing against it on political terms - or not, as you so choose. Pretending that those adhering to it can somehow be shamed out of it is every bit as silly as Zionists attempting to shame their enemies, as if we didn't think they were the ones who should be ashamed (http://bit.ly/vhbByz). You think they don't also have valid grievances with the academic/think tank set? Trust me, they do.

3. At least circa 2000, we most certainly did nothing "solely to create photo opps." In fact, the more memorable things occurred when their were no cameras to be seen. The goal of breaking a window (to pick a particular mode of action fetishized by both sides of this debate), like occupying a park, was direct action - reclaiming power without mediation - not delegating authority to the appointed sentinels of the bourgeoisie.

Of course, all of this might have changed over the past decade. I'm completely open to hearing that argument ...