[lbo-talk] Occupy Oakland's imminent implosion and the wider effects

Bhaskar Sunkara bhaskar.sunkara at gmail.com
Sat Nov 5 19:18:55 PDT 2011

Sounded like the OP was shedding some tears for "local and independent" businesses, as if they aren't even more exploitative to their employees than your average chain store. What's striking in that video is the liberals are so ready to brawl with the anarchists to defend some Whole Foods. Where were these folks when low income neighborhoods were having their houses stormed by foreclosure agents? Oh, probably at Whole Foods buying some free range.

I just feel like this condemnation feeds into the media narrative that places extra emphasis on the actions of these few. Anarchists have always been around breaking shit at protests. This is nothing new. I'm all for red shirted cadre of some future Party formation guarding the flanks of protests a la what some of the organized Left does in Greece, but we're not at that point yet. I don't see what happened in Oakland as a disaster. Nor do I think these Black Bloc tactics will spark "widespread looting" in the city. If it did it might be vindication for the anarchists.