[lbo-talk] Occupy Oakland's imminent implosion and the wider effects

Joseph Catron jncatron at gmail.com
Sat Nov 5 19:21:50 PDT 2011

On Sun, Nov 6, 2011 at 3:08 AM, Max Sawicky <sawicky at verizon.net> wrote:

A gang of BB doing their thing in the middle of somebody else's action is
> aggression the action, pure and simple. It is tantamount to taking over a
> platform at a demo that someone else had organized. It's outrageous.

And now that the opera's over, let me ask: Who is this mysterious "somebody else"? Even if we assume that nobody who broke a window ever had anything to do with Occupy Oakland (about which I have some idea, but can offer no firm conclusions), when you select the "we are the 99%" meme, it's probably inevitable that you'll have to deal with the 99%, including those whose chosen tactics differ markedly from yours. I have absolutely no patience for crocodile tears on that count.

This isn't a matter of Trotskyists showing up at a UE picket line, but rather of people, who have certain ideas and strategies, coming to a demonstration that claims to represent them. Any event organizers who have a problem with it can trim back their claims accordingly. Or argue tactics - I really don't care which. But the "insider/outsider" strategy is even sillier here that it usually is (which is still plenty silly).